|The finished letters, alongside a (old) photo of Alex.|
Anyway, I bought these letters at the shop I work in. I liked the shape of them better than some I have seen in other shops so I was really pleased when we started stocking them.
Alex is nuts about anything with an engine (planes, boats and trains) so "Thomas the Tank Engine" is a favourite. I was lucky enough to get the "Thomas" fabric in the sale so it was considerably cheaper than normal, however all four letters covered with it proved to bit a bit much when I began experimenting. Because of this Ibought some plain patchwork cotton in blue and green shades to match the colour of two of the engines in the books.
Looking on the internet at other examples of fabric covered letters I didn't like the way that fabric was inclined to bunch around corners and other "issues" I could see other people having. Vaguely remembering an article I saw in "Making" magazine last year I cut the shapes of the letters from cereal packet cardboard before starting. I could then use PVA glue and strips of fabric around the outline of the letters and then cover up the edges with the fabric covered cardboard cut out on the front. I am really chuffed with the effect and I hope that Alex loves them!
|A for Alex|
|Detail of the X showing the "false" front.|